- 3 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- Two 28- to 32-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 16-0unce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 or 2 small fresh hot chiles, minced, or one 8-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro, or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until just firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 3/4-inch dice. Set aside until needed.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onion is golden. Add the remaining ingredients except the last three. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered for 15 minutes.
Add the sweet potato dice and continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the parsley and scallions, then season gently with salt. If time allows, let stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through as needed.